Passive polarized Stereo3d using 3DVia

(11 posts) (5 voices)
  • Started 3 years ago by touchaddict
  • Latest reply from David

Tags:

1. touchaddict

Hi,

I am using a dual projector based polarized setup. Both projectors project onto a silver screen.

Would like to know if 3DVia studio would suffice for the following:

1- rendering LEFT and RIGHT output on both projectors
    What would be the workflow for the same? I generally create a scene, drag Immersive Virtuality onto my project and can see anaglyph stereo. But I am not sure how to render separately for both eyes on each projector.

2- adding interaction to the scene using Wiimote and Kinect.

In short i want to be able to create an experience like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC07QpQ8J8Q using my cheap polarized glasses. Any ideas?

Thanks

Also, how is Virtools different from the 3DVia Studio, in terms that both support stereo3d

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. hypergeff

Studio/Virtools Guru

Hi,

1. yes you can do "sideByside" stereo for your passive stereo system (1 output per projector).

Please have a look at this page:
    http://www.3dvia.com/studio/resource/tutorials/immersive-virtuality/use-the-wall-head-and-wand-sui-scenario

2. About Kinect and Wiimote, you can use the VRPN components of Studio to interface with (Kinect->OpenNI->Faast(VRPN server inside)->3DVIA Studio). Please have a look at here:

http://www.3dvia.com/studio/documentation/user-manual/iv-immersive-virtuality/vrpn

and a downloadable sample here:
    http://www.3dvia.com/experiences/259AC11B2D3F1123/magician-hacks-kinect-sample-with-sui

Virtools and 3DVIA Studio are similar in some points, but Studio is targeted for AAA 3D realtime applications (shader based rendering, data streaming, 64bits, native Immersive Virtuality components, ...), where Virtools is more targeted for quickly prototyping light 3D realtime apps

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. touchaddict

Thanks for the wonderful reply. I'll try what you've mentioned above and get back to you with the results! Hopefully a video

Cheers!

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. touchaddict

You wrote " yes you can do "sideByside" stereo for your passive stereo system (1 output per projector)."

I tried this. Do i have to manually stretch the 3dvia UI to span across both the displays so that the LEFT and RIGHT render overlap on both projectors.

I was wondering if there's a way to do that in FS mode, and 3Dvia will automatically project the LEFT and RIGHT eye renders on both the projectors separately.

Any ideas?

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. hypergeff

Studio/Virtools Guru

Hi,

In 3DVIA Studio authoring tool, you cannot go fullscreen.
    To do so, you can either publish your experience on 3dvia.com and play it in a web browser (at runtime: right click on the 3DVIA player systray icon and choose "fullscreen"), or you can buy a 3DVIA Studio Pro Player (which can go fullscreen also) and play experiences locally.

Cheers

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. touchaddict

ok. Thanks!

- is there a way i can create a local executable to experiment with stereoscopy?

- currently i am managing just fine by turning on side-by-side and manually stretching the 3dvia program window across two projectors. it giving a good stereo(i presume). BUT Is there a better way such that each Eye output is dedicated to each projector? Is it a common technique that others are also using?

-if i use the 3Dvia pro player as you told. will it publish the experience that is directly executable? (that could be started with a double click and without the authoring window.

Thanks

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. kabab

3D Ninja

You could always use the web player in debug mode and put it into fullscreen mode....

That will give you a local fullscreen runtime..

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. touchaddict

kabab will the local player render on multiple screens?

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. hypergeff

Studio/Virtools Guru

Hi,

Commonly people have 3 possiblities:

1. Play the experience in a web browser (then switch to fullscreen from the 3DVIA Studio web player icon in the systray bar). This requires first to build and publish your experience on 3dvia.com from the 3DVIA Studio public beta application.

2. Play the experience in the 3DVIA Studio Pro Player (and switch to fullscreen). The 3DVIA Studio Pro Player is a local offline player. Your experience can be started by dbl cliking a .bin file which will automatically start the player pro, giving the experience file path as an argument.

3. With the Pro license, you can embed the 3DVIA player directly in a custom .Net application

Cheers

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. MichaelAdrian

hello hypergeff,

do I need a special licence to run the Pro Player in stereo? In mono everything is fine but as soon as I add a SUI element, the player doesn't start (the process disappears after a few seconds).

anything I need to consider if I buid/export the project?

cheers,

Michael

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. David

iV Domain Leader

There could be an issue Michael. You need no specific license unless you reach the limits of the xHD license
    What version are you using ?

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.