Particle system direction

(8 posts) (4 voices)
  1. robertor

veteran

Hello,
    following this tutorial in the website http://www.3dvia.com/studio/resource/tutorials/managing-art-assets-in-3dvia-studio/actors-templates-components I've put a "Particle system" in my scene as a component of an actor. I cannot decide the direction of the particles source so the bubbles come out from the side of the submarine.
    In the property view when I clicked the "vkParticle system" button I can manage everythin (dimensio, rate, gravity,...) but I cannot decide with direction the emitter should emit the particles.
    Can somebody help me?

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. hiddentux

3D Experience Guru

Hello Robertor,

The easiest way to do that is to drag & drop a Point Emitter instead of a Particle System.

The Point Emitter is the aggregation of a 3D Entity with a Particle System, so when you'll change the direction of your 3D Entity, the direction of your particles will change too.

By the way, if you want to see exactly what you're doing when you're changing the direction, don't forget to switch the referential of your Particle Emitter to "Local" (the combo box at the top of your window)

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. robertor

veteran

Ok but the point cannot be add to the submarine as a component but it has already a 3dEntity which is linked to.
    I had to do a behavior to in order to make it follow the submarine and make a right orientation.
    Thank a lot hiddentux

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. hiddentux

3D Experience Guru

I'm not sure to understand what you mean

You can't add a Point Emitter as a component, but you can add it as a subactor...

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. robertor

veteran

You can't add a Point Emitter as a component

I agree with you!

but you can add it as a subactor

The "sub-actor" concept is not very clear to me ... I'm going to study it right now

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. iainB85

Interplanetary Delivery Boy

Hi robertor,

Think of it like this....

A "vkParticleSystemr" is one kind of component. This component allows you to configure parameters that generate particles.

a "vkEnttiy3D" is another kind of component, and this component allows you to define world coordinates and world orientation.

The "Point Emitter" is basically a template that contains both a "vkParticleSystem" and a "vkEntity3D" packaged together.

Alternatively, you can drag in an 3D Entity component alone from the "3D" section of the library, then drag the "vkParticleSystem" on top of it.

Also, if you had some models in your project, you could drag the "vkParticleSystem" component onto those to emit particles from the model's coordinates and orietnation instead (all models are classified as "vkEntity3D" as well).

Essentially, you need a "vkEntity3D" component in your component ring to be able to define a position and orientation. If you simply drag in a "ParticleSystem" component, it will emit from 0,0,0 position and have default world orientation, and you will not be able to change that.

Does that make more sense?

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. robertor

veteran

iainB85 said:
    Alternatively, you can drag in an 3D Entity component alone from the "3D" section of the library, then drag the "vkParticleSystem" on top of it.

I drag a simple 3D Entity on the submarine I wanted to set the emitter and a subactor folder came up with the 3dEntity inside.
    On top of that I put a particles system component and it appeared near the 3d entity in the subactor folder.
    After doing some setup in order to make the emitter consistent I was wondering if everything would follow the submarine.
    So I did a simple script that make the submarine rotate around a fixed reference and rotate itself along its y axis and everything works.
    Coming from Virtools some concepts are not so familiar and I need some more time to make them more friendly

Also, if you had some models in your project, you could drag the "vkParticleSystem" component onto those to emit particles from the model's coordinates and orientation instead (all models are classified as "vkEntity3D" as well).

I don't have models till now...

Does that make more sense?

Everything is clearer now but It could be a little bit tricky at the beginning.
    Thanks to everybody,
    Roberto

p.s. to iainB85: congratulations for your tutorials... they are very good.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. iainB85

Interplanetary Delivery Boy

Thanks!

By the way, if you were a previous Virtools user (that's how I started) I recommend checking out this article: http://www.3dvia.com/studio/resource/articles/coming-from-virtools-to-studio if you have not already. It goes over a lot of the fundemental differences between Virtools and Studio, and even explains why those things were changed.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.