Lots of Suggestions for next version(s)

(12 posts) (4 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. tomy

Honorary Community Marshall

I know it may be a while, but... Here a big list of shape suggestions. Some are mine, some are from this forum.

3d animation tool - animate then go on to next frame. Animate and go onto next frame. The same as studio, we might want one camera for editing, while you can place the other one for the actual camera view in the output video, this allows better editing.
    Divide tool - Currently it's not possible to make editing lines show up in the 3dxml file, like the ones around a rectangle. It would be useful to assign certain lines an attribute that makes it show up in the 3dxml file, or not show up.
    3d/not 3d video capture, instead of using Fraps and just for shape??
    More powerful orange deform tool with more sides - currently only 4 sides are supported. And I've never gotten this tool to work properly.
    2d texture to 3d model
    Ability to export as 3dxml or DAE within shape (locally). 3ds export option would be useful.
    Add basic smart object abilities, similar to blender (move, bounce, texture change)???????
    Add physics (make a model and add physics to it, gravity, friction and such) - this and the step above can be done in studio, but that it more for developers, is it not? It's not simple enough for me to get the hang of.
    Rendering?
    ADD TRANSPARENT IMAGE (to both shape and scenes, actually) - in 3dvia shape, a transparent png appears fine, but not in scenes.
    GIF image support - I suggested this, but when importing a texture, I can not choose .GIF extension. GIF images are good because they can be transparent and they can animate on their own. What if someone doesn't know how to change their GIF to a JPEG or PNG?
    I cannot understand how to use the colour maker tool... Does anyone know very well how to use it because it doesn't look like a regular "colour wheel", instead, the whole thing is one colour. ??

As I said, I know it will be a while till the next release, but until then, these might be good to implement.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. tomy

ALSO! Glow, shape exclusive, make certain parts lighter.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. jdelrio

Community Manager

Wow thats alot of good suggestions Tomy, let me take a stab

3D Animation Tool - This sounds like a good idea, but would increase the operating scope of 3DVIA Shape, which remains a simple and powerful modeling tool for beginners and profesionals. It could happen but this one will take longer than other suggestions to happen

Divide Tool - This one I don't clearly understand, do you want a wireframe mode so you can see all the edges and verticies that currently are in your model, or the ability to mark a few of them as visible?

3D/no 3D Video Capture - This one is interesting, and I like it, more of a "follow me" command. We would save construction history starting from "new scene" and ending with publish or save. When you upload you would have the option to download the construction history and "watch" models being built. It won't be a video output, but it will be very useful for learning to use 3DVIA Shape.

More Powerful Deform Tool - with more tutorials? What kind of deformations would you like to see?

Ability to export 3dxml and dae files from Shape - I think at the moment, the website will maintain it's translation role, but I will definitly forward this suggestion to the developers. But its another scope discussion for the product designer.

Add basic smart object ability - Hehe well now you are just adding 3DVIA Studio features to Shape
    Add physics - another one that is 3DVIA Studio

Rendering - This one is something already in discussion and I hope to bring you guys more information on future rendering capabilities of Shape.

Transparent PNG - This is a Scenes suggestion. There are many PNG's currently used in Scenes that work fine, though I admit that sometimes the rendering orders are changed, but we fix em as they are reported

Gif image support - I am not sure about this one, I almost want to say that they work for websites, and now a days, everyone is using flash or real time animations over gif images support. Why, I couldn't tell you, I myself love a good gif image I think it's more likely that Studio will have increased animation support, so you can include animated objects into scenes more easily.

Improved Colour Marker tool - This is definitly something that can be improved.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. BDKmac

Cross Platform...

Must make a Mac version!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. jdelrio

Community Manager

Mac Version is already in developement

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. tomy

3d Animation-I think it can't be that hard. Have you ever heard of PIVOT before? I know it's in 2d, I think it would be good if you could adjust the camera and rotation, and then just use the regular Deform and other tools to make the animation. In a similar process to PIVOT, you could use step by step Next Frame buttons to make a frame by frame animation.

Divide tool - You know in shodiq38's car modeling video, he has to draw all the edges on the doors and stuff. He has to draw black lines around objects to make the lines between them visible. WHAT IF instead of drawing a rectangle everytime you want a line visible, instead have a divide tool that will make certain lines visible. For example, if I draw a circle, and I want the outline to be visible, maybe I could right click and choose visible. Then this line will show up in 3dvia player online, without using the wireframe tool.

OK, here's a new suggestion, whenever I create a model and publish online and leave, then I come back later, I find I cannot undo changes I made to this model before publishing. I'm not sure this happens when you save it locally, but maybe make it possile to undo these changes??

More powerful Deform tool- When I use the orange deform it ALWAYS gives me a not allowed sign. Maybe make it easier to use?

Ability to export 3dxml and dae files from Shape- Well, there is a mode where you can go local, but this is useless if you cannot save it as a file you can use. What if the person has their internet shut down for some reason and can't get on, but they have a 3d project they MUST finish the next day?

Adding basic 3d smart object ability's I admit, this can be done in studio, so maybe we can cross this off the list.
    HOWEVER, physics would still be useful in Shape, I think. If you create a model in shape with a floating sphere over a rectangle, the sphere will just float when it's in studio. And it would be fun to build a tower and see it fall over and beak in shape, KABOOM

Rendering-I heard but I thought you may have forgot since this wasn't in v4.

Transparent PNG-I have had no trouble getting a transparent PNG in shape, but something happens when it uploads though, because when I play it back, it is back.

Animated GIF-Aw cmon it would be cool to have "Shape GIF movies" and stuff don't you think and just little animations make it a little more realistic.

Colour marker tool-Great, and maybe even get the RGB for a certain colour? Hmmm and hexadecimal.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. jdelrio

Community Manager

3D Animation - I agree it would not be dificult to add, but once you go down that road, the entire product changes its purpose. The mission of 3DVIA Shape is to provide an easy to use modeling application. The decision to add animation to the scope is a pow-wow meeting of a number of people. Animation is also a more advanced skill, that does require some training, and there are better tools on the market for it (Maya!)

Divide tool - Its starting to sound to me like this could be solved with a texture or a 3D surface painting function.

Ah Construction History, yes normally in many applications, when you save a model and close the program you lose the construction history, and therefore cannot undo. This is not just the case with Shape, Maya and Max perform the same way. It would be cool to figure out a way to save construction history but it would definitly increase the size of the output file by a huge margin, so the benefits might be debatable. But I would already love to save the construction history for that "replay" mode mentioned above so maybe

There is another post asking for the local export ability, I'm not sure what will happen but I will forward the suggestion.

I'll do some testing on the transparent png and see if I can report is as a bug.

Excellent suggestions Tomy!

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. tomy

3d Animation-Ok, so maybe we will save this idea for another software...

Divide tool-Indeed, yes you could just add a texture. Wouldn't it just be that much easier to divide though?

Construction History-So... 3dvia could be he first ones??

New one-
    My friend leatherhead suggested that we use 3d text. He tells me in Sketchup there is a tool to type in what you want and control the height to make easy 3d text. In shape you have to use draw tools. Maybe a possibility?

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. tomy

About the transparent PNG: I meant to say "when you play it back, it's black."

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. jdelrio

Community Manager

Yes on 3D text, that seems like a safe bet for a future release

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. dswavely

Community Manager

Hi tomy,

Your issue with png transparency led me to do a little testing. I've successfully used varying degrees of transparency as a color in many models. But I hadn't tried leaving some areas completely transparent.

This model ( http://www.3dvia.com/models/126AAD081A2C3E10/test-png-transparency ) shows my results when testing this. The transparent areas are not black, but I do get a white outline on playback. Weird.

Are you still getting black instead of transparency?

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. tomy

I guess that has been fixed in this version because I'm not having anymore problems.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.