Constant Particle Stream

(8 posts) (5 voices)
  • Started 4 years ago by _michfreak
  • Latest reply from mohoyoyo
  1. _michfreak

Hi, I'm creating a simulation that has a number of "shooting star" type emitters. They randomly spawn from a single source and shoot off in a random direction. Each of them has a Point Particle System attached so that they create tails behind them, like shooting stars. The only problem is that they seem to take a while to get a constant stream of particles going, instead turning the particles on and off intermittently for a few moments before finally always having a tail. This can be a problem as their lifespan is about five seconds.

I've looked through the particle examples that came with Virtools and all of them appear to have this same problem. Is there an easy fix that I'm missing? I've messed around with all of the variables and none seem to have an effect.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. kabab

3D Ninja

Look at the emission rate speed and delay you need to adjust those till you get the appearance of a constant stream...

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. _michfreak

My delay is set to 0, meaning there should be zero frames from one being emitted to the next, correct? Speed is immaterial; if I have it higher the tails become longer because the particles get further before dissipating. If I mess with the emission variable it either makes the tails "thicker" with more particles or thinner with less. None of these variables work to fix this dashed-line problem.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. kabab

3D Ninja

0 delay is not good from my experience make it 5ms or so..

Also make sure your not maxing out the number of particles...

Posted 4 years ago #